I made a stab at live blogging with the usability session, but I think it will work better for me just to jot down the random points that particularly strike me at the time, and fill in more thoughts later. Hopefully most if not all sessions will be on video, so there's no need to be a scribe...
The target for this round of testing was "sub-admins" familiar with other content management systems. They were exposed to Drupal 6 with CCK. Eye-tracking data was gathered, and we saw the animated results - not very pretty.
Past projects of mine
XML -> Mobile-compliant XHTML
I produced a mobile-compatible website for delivering 2008 U.S. Presidential election results to hand-held devices. This involved modifying the Drupal FeedAPI module (at that time still in beta) to read custom fields in addition to standard RSS fields (patch submitted).
As a follow-up project, in two days I created a system to take XML feeds of raw election data and produce mobile-compatible XHTML pages to present the results, for live updates on Super Tuesday. This system included a templating system so the client could easily style it to their own needs (they reported it took half an hour with my delivered system to complete the theming and customization), and has remained in operation through subsequent primary elections.
Excellent meetup last night. The stuff I actually thought to jot down:
My Lightning Talk was on my collaborative knowledge base project at the day job. The Node Auto Term (NAT) module was pointed out as an potential substitute for the book module.
David mentioned an issue he has having with Automatic Nodetitle (the string "0" turning into a null) - it uses the Token module, which I've just signed up to co-maintain along with pathauto, so I want to take a quick look at that (if I can squeeze another ten minutes out of the next couple of weeks...).
Another step on the return to active web development... Setting up my books on this site, with the pathauto module enabled, I found that the book title was not being substituted in the URL as it should.
For a little context, I was the original author of the pathauto module a few years back - this module automatically generates user-friendly aliases for Drupal content based on patterns you set up. For example, this post would have the address http://mikeryan.name/node/8 without pathauto, but because I've set it up with a pattern of blog/[author-name-raw]/[title-raw], it has the address http://mikeryan.name/blog/mikeryan/token-bug instead.